My youngest son is a special needs child whose schedule is more packed than a CEO of a Fortune 100 company. I rely heavily on my smartphone and trusty special needs apps to manage several specialty doctor appointments, school outings, and everything in between. If you are a babysitter or nanny working with special needs children, this is for you too.
To Do – Reminder
By App Innovation
Speak or enter text to create to-do lists. Schedule a reminder alarm, even recurring if needed. The app synchronizes with Google Calendar, Facebook and Phonebook so you don’t forget birthdays or anniversaries.
- When a specialty doctor’s office tells me that the doctor’s schedule isn’t posted yet and asks me to call back in 3 weeks to schedule the next follow up
- Setting medication schedule reminders; calling in refills
- Reminders to prepare my son’s backpack for tomorrow’s school activities
Live routing community-based traffic and navigation gives you real-time alerts for accidents, hazards, and road closures. Automatic rerouting for changing road conditions.
- Driving to numerous doctor’s offices using real-time traffic information; especially useful when we are running behind
- Gives me reminders for scheduled drives so I leave on time
- Storing addresses as favorites to save time
- Sharing important addresses with the babysitter and family
- Voice connects to my car speakers via blue tooth for turn by turn navigation
- Hazards and notifications posted by the community in real time are announced while I’m driving
- When I sold my car I lost my navigation history, addresses, because I was using my car’s navigation system
- Not only is Waze more accurate, but my navigation information will never be lost again
Cozi Family Organizer
By Cozi Inc.
A calendar on steroids, Cozi helps you manage a household. Access from your computer or smartphone to create/edit appointments and events, assign household members to the appointment and set timed reminders to all assigned household members delivered via e-mail or text.
- I added my son’s babysitter as a household member and she can see the calendar and create appointments for my special needs son
- My babysitter takes our son to several appointments; I include appointment details in the notes section of the event such as addresses or doctor’s names and any pertinent information
- When I assign my babysitter’s name to the appointment, she knows that she will take him to the appointment and will receive a reminder from one hour in advance to weeks in advance
- When my babysitter takes time off, I add it as an event and assign it to my husband and my older teenage son. Reminders are imperative as we have to shift our schedules; my teenage son receives text reminders so he knows that the babysitter won’t drive him to and from school that day
- My babysitter cleans up after my son and often runs out of household items; she adds them to the shared shopping list on Cozi and my husband and I know to pick it up at the store
- A special needs child’s care involves several people, a babysitter or nanny, parents, siblings, grandparents, and aunts and uncles; It’s truly a group effort
- I’ve replaced ineffective communication such as verbal reminders, slow back and forth e-mails, and non-stop phone calls with Cozi
*Bonus – My older teenage son is forgetful, Cozi keeps him on schedule too!
By Master B
Medication list, prescribing doctor, the reason for the med, what the pills look like, instructions, and scheduled reminders.
- Emergency Room and doctor appointments, communicating current meds and their uses to medical professionals
- App allows multiple users so my babysitter always has current information at her fingertips
- Tracks doses and pill count. My babysitter sets the refill reminder alarm, we never run out of medication
- Allows enough text space for detailed instructions to administer my son’s seizure emergency meds – my babysitter and extended family can access instructions anytime anyplace
- Schedule upcoming appointments, reminders and add doctor and pharmacist notes
What are your favorite special needs apps?